Monday, March 19, 2012

Quick PCOS Update

My 6 month check-up, complete with a battery of bloodwork & an ultrasound, was last week.  Overall, it went really well.

The doctor said that my bloodwork was the best he's seen all year!  My levels are all good, and he was especially impressed with my cholesterol.  In his words, my good cholesterol was "great," and my bad cholesterol was "really great"  The only thing wonky was my vitamin D, which was funny to me.  At my last appointment, it was VERY low, so I was put on a high dose vitamin D supplement (13 drops a day of a liquid) and told to stay on that until my next check-up.  (Levels should be between 30-100, optimally 50-80.  Mine was around 21.)  This time, my vitamin D was at 130.  Looks like the supplement is working!  I've been cut back to 6 drops a day, but will still need to take it.

The ultrasound was not all good, but not terrible.  I still have tons of cysts, which is typical for the "polycystic" condition I have.  The new thing this time is that I have one very enlarged cyst on my left ovary, which I've never had before.  I'll have another ultrasound in 2 months to see if that has changed and to see about taking care of it then, but it shouldn't be anything to worry about.

All in all, a good appointment.  The doctor and I are both happy with where I'm at with my treatment plan, so we'll keep things as-is for the most part!




Trish signature for blog

2 comments:

Nana said...

So glad to hear the good news! keep us updated. We know this is a daily struggle and are pulling for you.

Mavis said...

Glad for the update and the good news! With a vitamin D level that high, you must have tons of energy. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...